Is it just us, or does it already feel like it’s been a long year? But one thing that’s getting us through is finding ways to connect online and of course, reading great books. In this newsletter, we wanted to highlight some free virtual events that are happening at our local libraries.
Upcoming Events and Virtual Book Clubs
Don’t forget to sign up for I Read Canadian Day, which is coming up on February 17, 2021! I Read Canadian Day is a new nationwide initiative that celebrates the richness, diversity and breadth of Canadian literature. For more information, visit ireadcanadian.ca/day and sign up for free to participate.
Also, definitely check out your local library’s website for awesome virtual events! We have highlighted a few at the Toronto Public Library and the Vancouver Public Library below:
Toronto Public Library:
- Poetry Workshop for teens, recurring event on Wednesdays from 4- 5 pm EST
- Graphic Novel Book Club on January 25, 2021 6:30- 8 pm EST
- Nonfiction Book Club on February 2, 2021 7-8 pm EST
Vancouver Public Library:
- Hey teen authors, Want to submit your writing and artwork and be featured in ink, a teen journal for writing and visual art? Write for ink, a journal by and for teens. Submissions for ink, volume 4 are due April 30th, 2021.
- Among Us Virtual Hangout for Teens: February 12, 2021 2-3:30 pm PST
- Teen Book Club every third Thursday at 4 pm PST
Open Call for Submissions from writers and writer-illustrators of colour
Nosy Crow is seeking submissions from writers and writer-illustrators of colour. Nosy Crow publishes children’s books for ages 0-12.See the open submission call here for full details. The submission window closes on February 18, 2021.
Have you read our new reviews of two fantastic YA novels yet? Check out our reviewers’ Claudine Yip and Louise Brecht’s reviews of The Iron Will of Genie Lo by F. C. Yee, and The Enigma Game by Elizabeth Wein.
As always, please do send us your news related to children’s and young adult literature at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can feature them in future newsletters. Our newsletters are published on the 2nd and 4th Monday each month.
Take care, and happy reading,
The Young Adulting Editors